The 2019 Guide To Choosing Sliding
Glass & Patio Doors
How To Find The Best Patio Doors In Denver, Boulder,
And Other Colorado Front Range Communities
Finding the right sliding glass door for your Colorado home is a lot easier when you know what to look for. Here is the 2019 ‘quick guide’ to help you find the very best-quality sliding glass and patio doors.
You might think that is a little bit of an overstatement, but not really.
When you stop and think about a sliding glass door, it really is a huge amount of glass. It is likely the largest “window” in your house – and the one you use the most.
And all that glass will drive up your energy costs unless you have the right number of panes in your sliding glass door. Without triple-panes, the area near door will also be less comfortable than it should be.
That’s why we ALWAYS recommend triple-pane glass as the only smart choice for patio doors.
Triple-pane glass is absolutely crucial if you want the highest level of comfort and energy savings for your home.
Sliding glass doors can also allow a great deal of outside noise to penetrate your home – sound can penetrate ordinary glass easily. When you get triple-pane glass, that greatly reduces outside sound penetration.
The final reason to choose a triple-pane glass patio door is that they are much harder to breakthrough than single or double-pane doors. Your home will be more secure.
Many Colorado Front Range homeowners don’t realize it, but most patio doors being installed on homes are hollow vinyl frames or frames with foam filling. That’s not a strong frame.
You should look for a sliding glass door with a frame that is reinforced throughout with High Density Resin. This makes for a stronger and longer lasting patio door.
The next thing you want to ask any Colorado Front Range sliding glass door installation company is who will be doing the installation.
Sliding glass doors are used over and over and over again. dThis makes professional installation done to the highest standards very important.
Always select a company that has very little installer turnover. Make sure the installation team has decades of combined experience and that the person who coming to take measurements for your door will know exactly what he’s doing.
Don’t be afraid to ask these questions of any contractor you are considering – it’s important!
For more information about sliding glass doors, visit our Patio Doors page.
- Ask your sliding glass door installation company if they have a beveled glass option. Beveled glass does cost a bit more, but if the company you choose offers it, strongly consider it. It adds a beautiful ‘WOW’ factor that can’t be matched with ordinary glass.
- Also look for good security features. For example, some sliding glass doors now come with locking bars that bolt into steel receivers in the head and sill with one easy motion. This makes prying open patio doors pretty much impossible.
- And be sure to ask about screens – they should come standard with your sliding glass door.
- Patio doors should also come with “vacation” locks that add yet another level of security when you’ll be out of the house for a longer period of time.
- Remember that hardware matters, too. Look for quality choices like Schlage products that come with a lifetime warranties.
Don’t settle for anything less than a beautiful, secure, energy-efficient sliding glass door for your home. You’re making an investment in your home – get triple-pane glass and be more comfortable.
For a free consultation and quote from Ameritech Windows, Click Here.